Monday, May 12, 2008

MTV's "The Paper" Disgraces Journalism

So I was flipping through channels because I was tired of watching depressing episodes of Animal 911 on Animal Planet (honestly, some people are pieces of shit for what they do to animals...but that's another rant) but anyway, so I turn on MTV and finish watching Real World Hollywood which is a disappointment in itself, and then comes on the new show, The Paper. Ok, first of all, who the hell thought it would be interesting watching a bunch of juniors in high school bitch about who becomes editor in chief of their glamorous paper? I was intrigued because I have been a part of newspaper since high school and I am a journalism major, but when I watched these kids I wanted to change my major and never write again.
First we have the annoying over-achieving kiss ass who seems to also be into theatre who dreams of being President and who everyone hates (I wonder why...) then, there is of course, the overly-flamboyant closeted young gay boy who bitches and cries throughout 90% of the episode because he wants editor in chief and relays the fun bitchy back-stabbing comments to all his little cohorts against the crazy kiss ass girl.
Not to mention through it all, we have the annoying young couple who do nothing but make out and touch each other the whole time, even in school (where the fuck are the no touching policies? in my school, we couldn't even hold hands) and then the sports editor who thinks he is king-almighty himself, still wondering why he never got editor in chief because he is the best candidate. So of course, the kiss ass wins the editor in chief position - so where is the plot line for a whole season? Oh yeah, it's about how the girl is not respected by anyone and how they all plan on teaming up against her and not turn in their stuff etc etc. Basically, all the dilemmas of an over-dramatic bunch of actors who want nothing more than to degrade any normalcy as much as it can.
For me, watching this show has made me shake my head and want to cry because first of all, what high school newspaper staff has 50 members? second of all...how many of them are actually THAT good? and finally, with all the drama...god only knows how good the paper actually is. Sounds like it is all a gossip column for pissy post-puberty kids who have nothing better to do. They may say they are highly respected, but they sure as hell don't show it.
If you're on a staff under someone you don't like, you don't jeopardize the production of the item because you're stubborn, you tough it the fuck out! If the Advocate (my college newspaper) staff ever turned into a charade like this, I would quit immediately and burn the damn office down. Journalism is about ethics, respect, and truth...which this show has none of. I am thoroughly disgusted at the fact that MTV found it entertaining to take a bunch of moronic teenieboppers and shove responsibility in front of them, and I hope all of those kids look back on this one day and go "what the fuck was I thinking" because that is exactly what I am thinking right now.
On a final note, who takes high school journalism that seriously anyway? Ok, when I was in high school, my EIC my junior/senior year was a control-freak crazy ass bitch with nothing better to do than to complain and meticulously do her math homework while everyone else did the work, but honestly, I remember hearing off the show from the kiss-ass something to the effect of, "becoming editor in chief of my high school newspaper will be the most important position of my life, if i don't get it, my life will be over." Hun, if that's the case, you might as well start practicing "would you like fries with that?" rather than the inverted pyramid of style.
Anyway, the point of this rant is that MTV can go to hell...how can something be called music television when there's no music? Hail limewire and the use for Canadian network shows that actually show music!

No comments: